04 December 2010

WRITING

December 2 – Writing. What do you do each day that doesn’t contribute to your writing — and can you eliminate it? (Author: Leo Babauta)


Every day I think of writing.  Every. Damn. Day.  The writing I would like to do is to tell all the stories that swirl around in my head.  Short stories, novels, plays...sometimes things come to me in entirety...a whole plot.  Usually in the shower.  If only I could get out, dry off, and write them down!!


Most days what writing I do do is to journal late at night, just before sleep.  I have a wonderful journal that I love dearly.  It has a weight, a heft that is just right in my hands.  The paper is just the right gloss vs linen-y combination that makes it heaven to write on.  The space for writing each day is tiny--seven little slots on one 6x8 page--but there is an open blank page opposite it to write on or draw on or ignore (I've done all three).  It came from Starbucks.  In October this year when it all of a sudden dawned on me that the year--and journal--were about to end, I panicked.  I needed to get another journal just like this one and soon.  I looked at one Starbucks after another, at first casually as it occured to me standing in line for a tall, drip, bold coffee of the day, and then more determinedly when I couldn't find it.  I started asking the baristas who all just looked at me blankly and said, "This is all we have."  Finally I wrote someone at Starbucks Headquarters who told me Thanks For My Interest, but they weren't planning on carrying anything like that this year.  Would I be interested in a hot chocolate gift set?"  Um....no!  So, I'm currently on a quest for the perfect journal.  It's horrible to have found it and then not be able to get it.  (Metaphor for life, eh?) 


The problem, can you eliminate what gets in the way of your writing?, is a bit harder, because it has to do with my procrastination if I really pare it down.  I mean, I could talk about my hands and how hard it is some days to do anything with them at all, but so what?  It is just what it is. I have to start doing things in spite of.  So, the answer to this part of the writing prompt is simple:  I have to just plant my butt in the chair and write.  Period.



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am curious about everything, all the time. Sometimes it's exhausting. (I even wonder WHY I wonder.) It would be so much easier to not be asking "Why?" all the time.

Followers